background

Friday, February 11, 2011

Reflection #4: Assessment

A. Text, Chapter 5 My “favorite” assessment tool is not going to be the most popular. In the school that I work in, I know that many of the teachers do not like the rubric system. However, I like it because it shows and tells the kids EXACTLY what they have to do to get the highest grade (a score of 3) in any subject, including art. The rubric sets specific objectives that the children have to hit in order to get a 3, and if they do not hit those objectives, they don’t get the score they want. This system works in Math, in Language Arts, and it also works in Art. I really enjoy the rubric system. I personally don’t think it’s that horrible, and I’ve graded many papers/assignments using this system. It makes the most sense to me, and as an assessment tool, was the most effective for me out of the criteria listed in the chapter.

B. Assessment in Art, Chpt. 2 by Dr. Donna Kay Beattie (PDF) An important idea I got from this document is that standards, “identify what our children must know and be able to do.”(NAEA, 1994, p. 2). I think this is totally and completely true. How are you supposed to perform in anything if you don’t know what is expected of you? (Another reason why I love rubrics so much!) Another point I like is this: “Standards accountability is

the product of three beliefs: (a) assessment should primarily address standards, (b)

standards provide an objective basis for valid and reliable assessment, and (c) standards

assessment results should be justifiable and should be reported.” This just MAKES SENSE to me. How do you expect to assess your students if the work they are doing do not reflect the standards?

C. Three Resources of Your Own

1. http://blogs.scholastic.com/arts/2008/10/assessment-stra.html

I liked how this lady had her website set up, and I also enjoyed her sample rubric. “Effort and Attitude

Excellent

Consistently maintained responsibility for work and process, showed pride and care for artwork and contributed positively to the classroom community (4 pts.)

Proficient

Usually maintained responsibility for work and process, showed pride and care for artwork and contributed positively to the classroom community (3 pts.)

Emerging

Occasionally maintained responsibility for work and process, showed pride and care for artwork and contributed positively to the classroom community (2 pts.)

Unsatisfactory

Never maintained responsibility for work and process, showed pride and care for artwork and contributed positively to the classroom community (1 pt.)

Participation

Excellent

Contributed positively to all class and group discussions (4 pts.)

Proficient

Contributed positively to most class and group discussions (3 pts.)

Emerging

Contributed positively to few class and group discussions (2 pts.)

Unsatisfactory

Did not contributed positively to any class and group discussions (1 pt.)

Project Criteria

Excellent

Met all of the project's criteria (4 pts.)

Proficient

Met most of the project's criteria (3pts.)

Emerging

Met few of the project's criteria (2 pts.)

Unsatisfactory

Did not meet any of the project's criteria (1pt.)” I think it is important as an Art teacher to have criteria clearly set up before you even introduce the project. Let the kids know what you want before you even start.

2. http://www.princetonol.com/groups/iad/lessons/middle/yearplan.htm

If you get lost in trying to write up a rubric (again, I love rubrics!) then here is the website for you, where it gives lots of examples of sample rubrics to choose from.

3. http://www.kinderart.com/artbook/

Here’s another reason why I love Kinderart so much! "This Art Book site was created to help art educators by giving them another form of assessment. So many times we as art educators find it difficult to assess a child's progress when projects are sent home. By using portfolio assessment it is easier to judge a child's progress because you can see it from beginning to end. The idea of the art book came from a colleague of mine, Mary Jo Paup. She developed the "book" idea while working towards her masters. When she told me about the idea I decided to use it with my kindergartners. I used the Janesville School District's Art Curriculum as a basis for each project page. It was a challenge but well worth it. The beauty of portfolio assessment is that it starts in kindergarten and can follow them through their elementary career. As the child grows so do the books and the lessons.

If you decide to use this form of assessment in your class, I hope your class enjoys these lessons as much as mine did."

-Maryanne Messier

I was able to look through this book on Kinderart’s website, and I love it! I’m going to have to try it with my work kids sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment