background

Friday, March 11, 2011

Reflection #5

I think there are three important parts of a quality visual arts lesson plan. They are: art principles, integration, and clear objectives.

An important part of a quality art lesson plan is to implement some part of elements and principles of art, such as line, color, harmony, shape, movement, rhythm, etc. I think it’s important for student to have a good grasp of what these terms mean in the primary grades, and to be able to use these correctly. I have heard so much said lately about how students who have some kind of art in their schooling do better in school. I think it’s because Art is a subject that anyone can do. Yes, one person can be better at another person at Art, but everyone is good at Art in their own way. Art is a way for teachers to equalize their students.

http://www.msdsteuben.k12.in.us/jrider/elements_and_principles_of_art.htm

The next important part of a quality art lesson plan is to use integration of more than one subject. As teachers, we have SO many things to teach during the day anyway, that it seems almost impossible to include art, right? WRONG! I’ve been thinking about this ever since we talked about it in class. My take on it is that if you want to be a GOOD teacher (and who doesn’t!), then EVERY single lesson should integrate more than one subject. Why make a math lesson just a math lesson? Why make a writing assignment JUST a writing assignment? For example, you could have the students listen to calming music while writing a story, and then have then listen to heavy metal, and compare the differences in their writing. Same goes with Art. Play calm music, and you get a calm Art piece, but play heavy metal, and you get a completely different work of Art. Then, you can have the students write a journal entry about their art, and how it makes them feel (Language Arts integration). From observing different teacher’s classrooms, the lessons that use all three of the domains (cognitive, affective, and pstchomotor) are remembered more than just learning Math, or just learning Language Arts.

Clements, R. (2009). Art Emphasis (9th ed.). Boston, MA: Pearson.

The last thing that I think is important in an art lesson plan is to have clear and concise objectives. “To make sure your lesson plan will teach exactly what you want it to; you need to develop clear and specific objectives.” I was reading a lesson plan for a fourth grade teacher this week for a substitute, and the under the art section, it read: “Draw a picture.” I immediately grimaced, rolled my eyes, and groaned. Draw a picture? Really? Of what? Using what? Markers? Crayons? Paint? What do they draw? How do they draw it? The possibilities are endless, and yet, for children, there are no boundaries, and no expectations. I have found with my work kids if I do not tell them EXACTLY what I want, they are confused, and that confusion spreads like wildfire. For example, a few days ago, I was instructing them on how to make papier-mache dinosaur eggs. I had forgotten to remind the kids that they needed to wear smocks. A few seconds into the project, I looked over, and saw one little girl COVERED in papier-mache glue. I was horrified, and immediately stopped the kids, and made them put on smocks. See? How was she to know I wanted her to wear a smock if I hadn’t told her? http://www.lessonplanspage.com/WriteLessonPlan.htm

I have talked to several teachers in the school that I work, and most of them think that art is difficult to integrate into what they are already teaching. I KNOW this isn’t so, because several other teachers at my school are able to integrate art into their daily lessons. I don’t agree with the teacher that says aren’t can’t be done on a daily basis. It’s possible to do ANYTHING if you put your mind to it and TRY. I think that even if you are doing a little bit of art a day/week/month, that you are giving your students confidence to succeed, and that is a gift that just keeps on giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment