background

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Art Practicum Reflection








I work in a school. I seriously love my job so much already, I knew that this assignment was going to be a breeze. I already know how to deal with kids and their behavior issues. I know how to run the teacher's smartboards...I enter scores for them in the computer, and I've taught dozens of little mini-lessons. So, going into this project, I had relatively high expectations, and I'm happy to report, for the most part, that the kids rose to my expectations. This was a good thing, because I did not want to have to lower my expectations. So, I did a Pablo Picasso head lesson plan, but I simplified it. First, I showed them a slideshow I had put together that showed Picasso's work, and gave some Art terms. We had a class discussion about Art, and if Picasso's work was Art. Next, I had them critique a few pictures, and tell me what they liked/disliked about the picture. After that, I handed each student 2 pieces of paper. On the first piece of paper, they were to draw a shape. It could be any shape: circle, square, triangle, or a made-up shape. They drew a line of symmetry down the middle of the shape. Next, they folded their second piece of paper in half hamburger-style. On the top half of the paper, I had them draw their face shapes- eyes, nose, mouth, etc. On the bottom half, I had them draw 3-4 patterns. Next, I explained the process of moving the patterns onto their face shape. I wish I had a better way to teach this, because we struggled with this part in all three classes... Anyway, next, I had them draw and color their patterns into their face shapes. Next, we cut out the face shapes. I then explained about dividing the face into sections. Each section had to be a different color. After they were done coloring, we glued the face shapes onto their head, and added hair. All-in-all, I think it went really well. Because I've had so much experience in the school system, this went fairly easy for me. :) There were a few kinks that had to be worked out, and I modified this lesson as we went along, but over all, a very good lesson, and a very positive experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment